Exemptions to Maryland Firearms Safety Training Requirements
There are a number of exemptions from the training requirement1. The training requirement does not apply to:
- State or local government law enforcement officers.
- Individuals with qualifying military experience.
- Certain individuals required to maintain handguns pursuant to federal law.
- Individuals who possess a handgun permit under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article.
- Individuals who have previously completed an approved course.
Completion of certified firearms training course. - A person is not required to complete a certified firearms training course under subsection (h) (2) (ix) of this section and § 445 9b) (4) of this subheading if the person:
(1) has completed a certified firearms training course required under subsection (h) (2) (ix) of this section and § 445 (b) (4) of this subheading;
(2) Is a law enforcement officer of the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State;
(3) Is a member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the Amed Forces of the United States or the National guard;
(4) Is a member of an organization that is required by federal law or regulations governing their specific business or activity to maintain handguns and applicable amunition; or
(5) Has been issued a permit to carry a handgun under § 36E of this article.