Public Safety Article § 3-208(b)
The section of the Responsible Gun Safety Act that deals specifically with firearms safety training.
(b) Certified firearms safety training course - In general.- Subject to subsections (c) and (d) of this section, the
Commission shall adopt regulations on or before January 1, 2001, for a certified firearms safety training course
required for an applicant for a regulated firearms purchase, rental, or transfer made on or after January 1, 2002.
(c) Same - Entities offering or conducting course.- The certified firearms safety training course required under
subsection (b) of this section shall:
(1) be offered by the Commission; or
(2) contain a handgun safety component and be conducted by an individual or organization certified by:
(i) the Commission;
(ii) the Department of Natural Resources;
(iii) the Department of State Police; or
(iv) any reputable organization:
1. that has as one of its objectives the promotion of competency and safety in handling handguns; and
2. whose course has been determined by the Commission to meet the regulations adopted by the Commission.
(d) Same - Requirements for course offered by Commission.- Any course offered by the Commission under
subsection (c) of this section:
(1) shall be offered free of charge or fee;
(2) may not be more than 2 hours in duration;
(3) shall be conducted or offered at least once each week in all geographic areas of the State;
(4) shall be available after regular business hours;
(5) shall be open to each individual required by law to complete the firearms safety training course, within 2 weeks
after request of the individual;
(6) shall only require attendance throughout the duration of the course in order to complete the course successfully;
(7) may not require any skills or knowledge testing in the use of a regulated firearm in order to complete the course
[An. Code 1957, art. 41, § 4-201(d)(11), (15), (d-1); 2003, ch. 5, § 2.]
General Regulations Of The
Maryland Police Training Commission
Title 12, Subtitle 04 Chapter 04
Minimum Standards for Certified Firearms Safety Training.